Raspberry pi 3 Model B+
Available on backorder
The latest Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ has a faster 64-bit 1.4GHz quad core processor, 1GB of RAM, faster dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2, and significantly faster 300Mbit/s ethernet.
Improved thermals on the Pi 3 B+ means that the CPU on the BCM2837 SoC can now run at 1.4GHz, a 17% increase on the previous Pi 3 model (which ran at 1.2GHz).
Video performance on Pi 3 B+ is similar to the previous generation Pi 3, the VideoCore being clocked at 400MHz for video processing and the 3D graphics processor running at 300MHz.
A significant change on the Pi 3 B+ compared to the Pi 3 is the inclusion of a new faster, dual-band wireless chip (CYW43455) with 802.11 b/g/n/ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2.
The dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless LAN enables faster networking with less interference (although the higher bandwidth has less range), and the new PCB antenna technology should allow better reception.
Bluetooth allows you to use a wireless keyboard/trackpad without extra dongles, keeping things nice and tidy.
The Pi 3 B+ has significantly faster wired networking, thanks to an upgraded USB/LAN chip, and you should see speeds that are 3-5x faster than on previous models of the Pi, at least 300Mbit/s.
GPIO and layout
The GPIO header remains the same, with 40 pins, as on the previous three models of Pi. However, it should be noted that the new PoE header pins may contact components on the underside of some HATs, like Rainbow HAT. Some standoffs will prevent any mischief from occurring though!
The metal shielding on the wireless circuitry and the SoC may also cause shorts against larger components on the underside of HATs, pHATs, and SHIMs. In the first two cases, standoffs will help again; in the latter, a couple of small pieces of insulating tape or Kapton tape will prevent any shorts.
- Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.4GHz
- 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
- 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2, BLE
- Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (maximum throughput 300 Mbps)
- Extended 40-pin GPIO header
- Full-size HDMI
- 4 USB 2.0 ports
- CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi touchscreen display
- 4-pole stereo output and composite video port
- Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
- 5V/2.5A DC power input
- Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support (requires separate PoE HAT)